Total Pageviews

Monday, May 16, 2011

Reflection

Composition is a class that all Plymouth State Graduates are required to take and for some who did not master writing techniques in grade school composition class may be their second chance to improve their writing style. I was nervous about taking composition class at first because I thought that every week we were going to have to write a lengthy paper about random topics that were assigned. This however was not the case; I found that I got to choose most of the topics for my papers which almost makes writing fun because if you are passionate and interested in what you are writing about the words seem to form themselves on the paper instead of trying to drag sentences on to reach the required length. While writing my research essay and my personal essay I found myself struggling to stay within the required 1200-1500 word requirement. I felt that on both of my essays I could have written easily over 5000 words mainly because I was writing about what interests me.
There were several aspects of the course that I enjoyed more than others. I enjoyed the freedom that everyone had in the class as well as the atmosphere of the class which was definitely a positive one. This course is not like others that I have taken in the past. In some classes you are required to hang on the teachers every word and write down what they are saying verbatim which can get very tedious and boring. Out of all my classes second semester Composition was one class that I did not mind going to, even though it was at 9:30 in the morning. I knew that even if I was feeling under the weather that class would be interesting because we talk about current events and topics that interest college students. I also felt like I could speak my mind and not be judged my professor or my classmates. For example one of my professors for my sociology class basically said that it will be hard to pass the class if you try to present a point of view that is different than his. Now I have no idea what that means but what I do know is that I sit in the back of the class and don’t say a word even if I completely disagree with what he is saying. Throughout the course I both enjoyed the discussions that we had as a class as well as learning from them to. I also definitely improved my writing technique and style on research papers which is going to be essential if I want to succeed and excel at Plymouth State. Composition may have been a graduation requirement, but even if it was not I would still tell future students to take the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment